Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Book Meme

Okay so Patrick has issued out a meme for me. So here is goes.

1. One book that changed your life: I would have to say the Euthyphro or the Apology by Plato. I guess it was the first time I fell in love with solid reasoning, not necessarily the conclusions but the reasoning.

2. One book that you've read more than once: Umm besides the answer for number 1, ... I really don't reread books all that much but I have read Erewhon by Samuel Butler several times.

3. One book you'd want on a desert island: Hmm ... I suppose a good encyclopedia. I would want a way to spot food, bugs, and good trees for building rafts.

4. One book that made you laugh: Okay so Patrick took the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy so I will pick Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency also by Douglas Adams. That man is just funny.

5. One book that made you cry: Slave by Mende Nasar. If you want to tell me that slavery isn't a problem in the world today, I will tell you to read this book. In fact I still say read this book.

6. One book that you wish had been written: The Art of Abstraction. It would be a book that takes all the greatest abstractions in science, mathematics, and other fields and tracks them to their origins. Also shows how they challenged the thinking of the time. One example is the photoelectric effect abstracting away light as a particle.

7. One book that you wish had never been written: Wow just one! I would say anything by Jack Chick. Or better yet anything by Ayn Rand, I'm not too sure who upsets me more weirdo fundamentalists or objectivists.

8. One book you're currently reading: The Evidential Power of Beauty: Where science and theology meet by Thomas Dubay. I like Fr. Dubay, and I got this book because it is something that I would write, although not nearly as well.

9. One book you've been meaning to read: Oh there are way too many... I guess just to pick one Les Miserables. I would like to read a lot more classical novels but yet I haven't had the time.

Alright as tradition holds I now give out the invitations. So I challenge you Cheryl, Stephanie, Borja, Jason, Charli, and Marcel to take up your keyboard and start blogging on your books.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The meme beckons, and I have heeded its call!